Sunday, May 13, 2012

Market Babies

This gorgeous little market baby was modelling her parent's quilted and tie-dye creations yesterday.  The family is from Sherburne and tie-dyes all kinds of clothing and tote bags.  There are several vendors who sew totes at the Hamilton market, and I like to check them out against my own Bundaflicka knitting bags.  I have to say I haven't found any that have quite the labor and quality of materials that mine have, but they keep me on my toes, so to speak.  One local woman, a graduate student and young mother, called me up to say she wanted a bag "just like the one her mother has."  Well, the mother purchased her bag several years ago, and I have no idea which bag it was, but I invited her to stop by and see if I might have something she likes one of these days.  I was pleased to see her come in yesterday.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing, because I thought I was hearing a tape of myself, when she said how she "HATES the Vera Bradley bags, and gets sick whenever she sees one."  Vera Bradley totes are everywhere around here.  We had a lively conversation about how the VB bags are not sturdy, look more like cosmetic bags, and are surely proliferating human rights abuses as they are manufactured in China.  Well, the grad student admired a Bundaflicka tote, but said a smaller one would be better for her. Luckily I have just enough fabric left at home to sew one for her. 

No comments: