Saturday, April 23, 2011

Two Moms




Renata is Moira's lamb, but Moira has no milk. I mistakenly thought she and Regina were twins born to Artemis since they were both black, Artemis is black, and I found one of them with her and the other one wandering. Moira is too old to lamb, or so I thought. Both lambs are nursing from Artemis with Moira (white ewe) is staying close where she can see her lamb. Artemis is not happy about a second lamb so I get in the pen and hold her while Renata nurses. When I let her go, Artemis gives Renata a knock upside the head. Renata is learning how to sneak a drink from behind so Artemis doesn't know if it is Regina, her lamb, or the interloper. In the sheep world, lambs who learn how to come in from behind are called "s--theads." Smart lambs! Works for me as I stopped bottle feeding yesterday and hope I won't have to buy more milk replacer.

No comments: