Thursday, April 28, 2011

Storms


Rained all night on the farm. Much flooding around here and another storm on the way. Some of our sending districts are closed and others on a delay. The many rivers in Central New York, which feed the Susquehanna and Delaware, can only take so much. I just got through Route 8 to New Berlin before that road was covered. I then turn up in the hills before coming down again into Norwich where I work. Norwich High School is closed also and we have a skeleton student population today. I find driving in snow much scarier. My sheep are dry and cozy in their big strong barn so I'm not worried. My milk room (called that because the bulk tank used to be in it) flooed from the leak in the roof and a hose that decided to pop loose when the washer drained. It is a miserable room and the place where I go in and out of the barn and do my laundry and wool washing/dyeing. Long range plans include fixing it up into a nifty utility room but I have to get the roof fixed first. I was up late sewing and got a good bit done. I tend to leave things like buttons and wood bottom inserts until later and am trying to get each bag fully completed. I got six or seven bags ready to sell and cut/sewed a new one. Much soap wrapping to do but Robin, my trusty and dedicated classroom aide, is taking some home with her this weekend. The sky is blackening outside my classroom window. It would be a great day to stay home on the farm...

No comments: