Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter


I love the Passover/Easter season and celebrate both in my own silly ways. Robin, my trusty classroom aide, brought me two boxes of matzoh bread. What a treat. I forgot how much I love it, as a snack or crushed and scrambled with eggs the way my Southern Baptist mother made it. Her Jewish friend, Miriam Einstein, taught her how to make it. If I was in Morristown I would be in church with Mia and Andrew, enjoying the fabulous choir and walking the main street lined with flowering hybrid pear trees. But I am in upstate New York, on the farm, with not a flowering hybrid anything within miles of here. My church is in the barn, with my sheep and goats, and one old crippled llama. I am in a very biblical profession, and, besides, my son the priest prays enough for both of us. The magic of spring has not really hit us here. The fields are greening up but one rainstorm after another is rolling through and it's still cold. I can open the barn windows without a single fly coming in and I need a coat on to walk the hills. On deck for today - cook a pork roast from our stock in the freezer. I used to make a very big deal out of Easter, as my mother did years ago. I continued her tradition of giant Easter baskets and Easter egg hunts. I was happy to see a picture of Hannah and Luke dyeing Easter eggs in Texas. Izzy is telling me that rain is coming. That's okay. The sheep are safe in the barn. Happy Easter everyone.

No comments: