Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter 2011


After a lovely, sunny morning the sky gave way to grey and clouds. I spent so much time in the barn with the animals which seemed like an natural thing to do on an Easter holiday with no family around. No Easter baskets or dyeing eggs this year as there are no little ones around. I look at pictures like this one, with my Swedish grandfather who came over from Brooklyn to the project on Staten Island every Sunday, and am in awe of my mother. Look how we are all dressed up, with Easter baskets, including hats and ties on the boys, with a toddler in a snow suit (my brother Mark). We lived on the sixth floor of an apartment building and the clotheslines were in a field opposite the housing project. My mother was a Superwoman! I am still holding Artemis while Renata nurses. How can a sheep with two teats not want to share one of them with a hungry lamb? Sheep are just like people - there are giving, caring mothers and selfish, greedy mothers. I wish I had more to show for the day but I did get six Bundaflicka totes cut out and many shaving cups filled with molten soap scraps. I hope they harden quickly. I used more water than I should have to get them melted down, which makes it so much easier than mashing and chopping for several days. I have a nice collection of big soap scrap blocks which are great for the felters to rub their wool with, or to put on the slop sink by the back door, or to rub your shaving brush on. I cooked a fabulous meal of ham from my piggies, a potato/onion/curry casserole and fresh asparagus. Oh, we eat well thanks to those piggies. Matt says no piggies this year. I so want more pigs but their field is where I will separate my rams - in July to make sure there are no surprises come Christmas. After that scrumptious meal I will take the dogs on a climb up the big hill to walk the dinner off. Much to do after chores with putting at least one bag together tonight and wrapping soap, which I really don't mind doing in front of the TV. Up early in the AM to get to school for a meeting. My life is a bit complicated right now. Oh, to lie on the sofa and read a book, or knit a pair of socks, or spin some yarn. One can only dream...

No comments: