Monday, April 18, 2011

Precious Find



I was poking around the barn before going to bed, looking for duck eggs. I had recently let the ducks loose in the barn - nice for them but harder to find their lovely big round eggs. Thank you Lord I ventured kind of far back (my barn is 240 feet long!) and thought I heard a "muttering" in the dark, unlit extension of the East End. I had no head light but followed the sound into the darkest, coldest corner of the way back end and sure enough a tiny bleat of a baby pierced the blackness. I felt around with my hands and found a tiny, wet angora goat kid in the dirt! I instinctively felt the belly for a scrotum - it's a girl!! With the cold and dampness tonight she surely would have froze by morning, if I found her then. I tried to get mom to follow me into the lighter, warmer part of the barn but she was reluctant to come along. I put the baby in the dry hay next to Chris the llama and went to get Matt to help. When I came back with a sweater and my gear to get them situated mom had lured the baby back into the darkness. This is a mature doe, and, sadly, NOT one of the goats Jim sheared the other day. Mom is a mass of felted curls and had to be clipped or the baby would never find the teat. Took a bit of doing but we got Mom and baby girl in their jug with nice fresh hay and water, and a full belly of Nutri Drench and colostrum for Baby. She has a sweater on and should be fine until morning when I can make sure she's nursing. Angora goat kids are pretty quick to figure out where the teat is. This doe kid is a deep, rich brown and just gorgeous. Thank goodness for those duck eggs.

3 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Oh thank goodness you found her!!! She sounds adorable!

Annie said...

Maybe you should call her "Petra," since she's an Easter doe (if she'd been male, you would have had to call him Peter!)

Four Owls Farm said...

A beautiful girl!!