Friday, January 21, 2011

Sheep Stress


As if my job is not stressful enough...
I have two sheep with vaginal prolapses. Yes, I know, not for the weak of stomach. I had a feeling it would happen and there I am this morning - lying on the hay pack, up to my elbow inside this poor ewe who is flat out. When a sheep prolapses the bladder becomes distended and the poor girl can't pee. I had to push the prolapse back in to relieve the bladder. Urine came gushing out around my arm. No lamb coming down, but she is dilated three fingers. I got Beastie Boy up to help me and he held her head while I did this. We got a prolapse harness on her, not easy to do on a sheep who won't get up. I gave her Banamine to reduce swelling as per Dr. Rachel's instructions, and an antibiotic to hopefully prevent infection from tissues being exposed to dirt, etc. This is Sombra, a beautiful, great big black sheep who is such a dear. She lambed effortlessly last year. I'm wondering what happened this time. Fortunately I was able to speak with Dr. Rachel this morning for a consultation. Needless to say, I called in Sheep. Can't get Robin on the phone, but she knows what to do without me. Have to go get hay. I'm down to 7 bales, a pittance, with 6-12 inches of snow forecast. Another winter with an empty hay mow and picking up hay every week. Not what was supposed to happen, but here we are.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh my poor Sombra!!! I hope she will be okay! Pobrecita mia...but I know she is in good hands. AND, I'm glad to know that she lambed fine last year.

Kathleen said...

Oh my poor Sombra!!! I hope she will be okay! Pobrecita mia...but I know she is in good hands. AND, I'm glad to know that she lambed fine last year.