Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Quentin Peter and Libby


Libby Llop, my long-distance-endurance rider fiber-artist friend, and her son, Quentin Peter, came to visit this afternoon. What a timely visit, after the rigors of the morning. Libby inspected my ewe, and pronounced her in very good shape considering what she had endured today. Libby studied animal management at Cornell and has raised sheep all her life. Quentin P. set about fixing my hay elevator, something to celebrate, as I no longer have to haul bales from the cart in the driveway, up the milk room steps and into the barn through two doors. Now I can climb the ladder and toss bales down from the hay mow. He unloaded the fabulous alfafa hay while Libby and I picked out seven lovely angora goat does for her to take home. I hated to see them go but living at Inverness Farm, south of Rochester, on 500 acres with barns full of alfafa hay and feed mills full of grain is no shabby prospect for the goaties. Libby is also a shearer and I know the mohair will get off them in time and put to good use. She's anxious to weave rugs and knit socks with their fibery gifts. When they left I started chores and got a limb sawed off the tree blocking the garbage truck on Wednesday morning pickups. Matt got home after missing all the excitement of the day. We finished chores and I fixed a hot meal - spinach, mashed potatoes with lots of dill, and ham steaks from my piggies. I am greatly relieved that my ewe Sombra looks so good, nibbling at hay and "talking" to me when she sees me come in the barn. I hated losing those lambs but would much rather have my ewe safe and sound. We share a special bond now.

No comments: