Saturday, January 08, 2011

It's a Sheep Thing


The lovely ewe on the right can't make up her mind if she should prolapse or not. No more red softball size membrane showing on her back end. She's eating and relaxing, but once in a while she baaaas into the air. Something is going on with her. Lucky me I have vets on call and Shepherd Mary ready with a Premier Prolapse harness so I don't have to make one with baling twine. Dr. Rachel thinks she might just be relaxing her membrane getting ready to give birth. I hope so, as I surely don't want the whole bag coming out with the lamb in it. The harness prevents that and allows the lamb to slip right through while holding the uterus inside. It's a simple yet very functional device. The weather is gorgeous and new snow has covered the farm and piney ridge, making a beautiful vista even more so. I love winter and think I am living in the right area for it. There is one breathtaking Currier and Ives scene after another.

No comments: