Thursday, June 04, 2009

The Snapper


Okay, it was just too beautiful not to climb the hill. I should be feeding the rabbits while the sheep are out and can't mob me. I should be throwing some corn down for the chicks while the sheep are not there to step on them. I should be wrapping soap, or sewing bags, or washing the dishes. But not today. Just too gorgeous and not too hot yet. So we climbed the hill. I saw Holly up ahead with her nose focused on something. I had Tanner and Pip on leashes and it took us a while to catch up. There it was in the grass by the edge of the pond...about 14 inches across with the classic pointy head and markings. Snappers can't retract their heads and this one didn't want to. It popped the dogs a few times when they got too close. I was pulling back on the leashes and yelling at Holly and Izzie to stay away. The yelling just got them more excited and they bothered it even more. I wanted it to get in the water and tossed some pebbles at it, bouncing off the shell. Memo to carry my shepherd's staff up the hill next time. I was reminded of the stories my Army father used to tell about the snappers in the South Branch of the Raritan River where I grew up. He said his 45 caliber bullets would bounce off the snapper shells, they got so big and tough. That was how my father thought. If it was wild then shoot it. I knew snappers were in the Beaver Creek across the road as I found one crossing about this time last year. Libby told me about her snapper and how it would cross their road to get to a plowed field to lay her eggs the same time every year, and she would help it get there safely. I think this turtle might have been doing that, as she looked dry and tired. Maybe she crawled up the big hill like me with my dogs. I love all things wild, but now I'm worried about Hannah and Luke swimming in the pond! I walk through the tall wet weeds around the pond all the time without a second thought...but now I'm having second and third thoughts. Snappers in the pond, what next?

2 comments:

jan said...

I highly suspect that if that snapper is a momma, she'll have laid her eggs, they'll have hatched and she'll have led them down to the creek. Hannah and Luke have been fine over the years, I suspect they'll be fine this year. And the creek usually has enough visibility to see a snapper before it/she sees any of you! Enjoy nature as you always do! .............

Henya said...

Every day is an adventure, I love reading your stories.