Saturday, August 16, 2008

In Country

Here I am in the Land of the Beautiful Blondes, using Mia's lap top, looking at the gorgeous curtains flowing down from the high ceilings. Mia's gone to Lisa's shower to get food ready while I hang with Monika, Mia's tennis pro roommate and Roxy, the classy velvet brown Lab. We got all the party-bags ready last night, with the photo stickers of the Happy Couple and lots of curly pink and brown ribbon and brown tissue paper. I cut up the rest of the soap hearts in Mia's living room. They have been safely delivered to the mother of the bride - whew! - so she can put them out to cure before being wrapped in gauze bags
and ribbons for the wedding favors. I met Andrew, the handsome mountain climber, who was kind enough to climb up and hang the new curtains. Mia was thrilled with the big blooms, stalks and leaves, perfectly color coordinated to the beautiful furniture Jan gave her and the theme of the apartment...and I got the ultimate compliment - they look like something from Anthropology! I'm very happy! Andrew is very pleasant, funny, personable and charming. I'm very pleased with Mia's good taste in men! The trip down from the farm was horrendous, and I don't ever want to be in Pennsylvania again. After the relief I experienced by getting the Jeep registered (after 40 years on NJ Motor Vehicle is still a source of fear and anxiety)travelling south on 81 was a misery. There must have been 20 miles of one lane closures due to construction, then a three car accident, then rain started and the windshield wipers wouldn't turn in. The temp needle went up everything I turned the air on, so forget that. Matt forgot to tell me I had to fiddle with a little box under the dashboard to get the wipers to work. Thanks alot! I had to stop at a Wal-Mart and wait out a shower. A four hour trip took me 6 and a half. Needless to say, I am going home by way of 287, the Thruway and route 17. I don't want anything to do with that God-forsaken state. The four years I lived there were not my best, no reason to go back. Morristown is full of memories. This is where I raised my babies. I love watching the NY news with all the Manhattan vignettes. I had a terrific night's sleep and drank coffee sitting on a suede sofa and watching Olympic coverage on the HD TV - yes, it makes a difference! Off to the party, I'm sure there will be lots to tell.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I'm glad you made it to Mia's! Be sure to tell us about the party!