Sunday, August 24, 2008

Filling Up the Barn






There are about 1,200 bales of hay in the barn - about a third of what I need to get the flock through until next spring. First cut hay has the dead grass from last winter still in it, but some good green grass, too. With luck we'll have some dry weather in September to get a second cut, with nothing but juicy green grass. What a good feeling to have those bales piled everywhere. Four hot and dry days did the trick. Thank you, Jan and Dave, for buying those hay fields and thank you, Mr. Spooner, for coming through for us with the mowing and baling. The elevator motor on the east end of the barn burned up (pidgeon poop dried on the track?) and we had to drop the bales in the middle of the barn. Mia and Andrew are coming next weekend, and we'll have a stacking party after the farmer's market on Saturday. What fun! Then we can swim in the pond to cool off, and have a bonfire at night.
My Jasper was lying in his box so I could say good bye all day long. I buried him tonight under the pine tree where Knut and Finn live so he would have company and would not be dug up by coyotes or other varmints. I don't want him scattered about. I watched the Olympic Closing Ceremony tonight. What a unbelievable spectacle. I'm so sorry the games are over. I've been glued to the TV for two weeks watching them. The Olympics have always been a big deal in our house. Mia and AJ went to an Olympic field hockey game in Atlanta years ago - so special because she was the Captain of her high school team. I watched the opening with Jasper and my other doggies. I know Jazz-bo would have loved this show, too...especially the part about licking my ice cream bowl. I hope Hannah and Luke have been watching. Luke is SEVEN years old tomorrow! Wish I could be there to celebrate with him. I saw the pink and blue floats, still full, ready for swimming, at the pond today. Gosh I miss them so much. I know the froggies in the pond are enjoying the quiet, but I'm not! Very busy tomorrow making Cinnamon Leaf soap and boxing up fiber to send to the carding mill. The mill two hours from here won't return my calls or emails. I don't think I want to bring my wool to a place that won't talk to me. I suspect they have so much work they don't want any more.

No comments: