Saturday, August 09, 2008

Farmer's Market Finally


The weather forecast said lovely weather, but the skies were gray and misty. We loaded up and set out anyway, setting up the space with rain threatening. Luckily the clouds drifted away and revealed a bright blue sky. The crowds came and I had a decent market morning. I had some new bags out which were admired and stroked by many, but the only bag that sold was the VERY reasonably priced "gas tank bag." What's that? I always price one bag rather low in hopes of selling it to buy the gas needed to get to the market and home. I found some nifty nubby tweed purply/gray upholstery fabric in the tractor shed and some quilted red paisley quilted fabric for lining. I finished it before the Olympic opening night show and got the button sewed on ready for today. Priced it to SELL and one lady was practically crying over it, but no deal. My new needle felting fiber packs were a hit, with around six of them selling. I put together a half-pound package of different rovings, suitable for a felted landscape - earth tones, sky tones, sunset, trees, etc. I've seen needle felting packages in stores that I thought were rather bland, with a dot of yellow, a dot of blue, etc. Mine are all streaked with different shades of colors blended. One lady went home to get the money to buy one package (?!) and kept exclaiming oh, it's so beautiful, who can I give one of these to? I thought, gee, if she's obsessing about spending another $10, people are really being frugal. Hard times...people aren't throwing their money around, and those who have it don't want to appear to be letting go of it easily. I nudged her gently and said something like, this fiber usually goes for $30 a pound and this is only $10 for half a pound. She replied very seriously, it's only ten dollars but if ten dollars is all you have...I understand completely. She bought the one package and went on her way. I meet so many neat people at the market and have an excellent testing ground for my products. I sold three skeins of Annie's fabulous handspun yarn! Have to get more yarn in my booth, as people seem to be thinking more about knitting. I made enough to get some luscious blueberries and veggies from the guy across from me. Stopped for dog/cat food on the way home. Fed everyone, got to washing and boiling wool, and had to sit down. I am way too tired lately for everything I need to do. I have about 25 bags made, and need at least 25 more before show season starts. I am digging out more fiber from my stash, and should be okay...if I just keep my wits about myself and get enough rest. I have to ship what I have dyed out to the carding mill - and shipping is expensive. I think I will be putting out some more "dyed locks" this fall. Looks pretty in the booth and appeals to needle felters - and doesn't require shipping and a carding bill.

No comments: