Friday, February 08, 2008

Hard to be Sad





I am still very sad over losing Breeze but I feel his presence in the barn. The lambs don't jump on Chris's back the way they did with Breeze. He was truly the babysitter of the Little Ones. Chris is doing very well, considering he and Breeze have always been together. I was afraid Chris would be wandering around, humming and grieving for his brother, but it's not happening. I am so grateful for that. I don't have time to wallow in grief myself. I'm at the tail end of the lambing and baby goats are coming now. Three goat moms gave birth to singles yesterday. Two of them are so tiny and delicate and not standing up to nurse. One little black girl spent the night in the bathroom in a laundry basket next to the baseboard heater - a terrific, safe heat source. I bottle fed her through the night and Matt fed her today. We brought her back out to Mom who was VERY happy to get her baby back. We brought Bandera's buck brown kid in to get the same treatment. They are such precious, tiny little French poodle-like creatures who LOVE to be held. Goat kids don't tolerate the cold as well as lambs and I have to be very careful they don't get chilled.

2 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

What beautiful colours on the little goaties!

Anonymous said...

so cute!!!!