Sunday, February 03, 2008

Where's My Momma?


I let this little guy out of the pen with his mother last night, thinking they were mothered up just fine after three days. Mom promptly ditched him and ran out to the round bales. She was fighting with another doe and acting very erratically. The baby screamed and screamed but she didn't care. This is very unusual for goats. They are the greatest mothers. We tried to comfort him, and give him a bottle, but no way. He laid down by the pen and waited for his mother to come back. No mother. When I went out for night checks he was patiently waiting for her, lying with the lambs. When morning came, I carried him outside and he saw his mom. There she was, munching on the round bales. She saw him and called that goat-mother call. I set him down and they had a happy reunion, with the kid tugging on his mom's teat. They should all end so happily...

No comments: