Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Eggs in the Nest Box





I find eggs in the nest boxes almost every day. Chickens don't usually lay eggs this time of year, but there is a light outside of their room in the barn. I think that helps. Egg laying is directly related to the amount of light the chickens get. These Olde English Bantams lay tiny little eggs that are almost all yolk. I put them on the dog kibble to give the White Boys some extra protein, or give them to the kitties for a treat. When they hear the shell crack, the cats come running. I do save some for an omelet once in a while.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss those fresh eggs! And how I do miss climing into the hen house and gathering them too! We're gonna have to work out some sort of deal ------ eggs for labor?

Anonymous said...

guess I can't spell since I haven't had fresh eggs in such a long time! I miss "climbing" into the hen house.

Maggie's Farm said...

Miss climbing into the hen house, Auntie Jan? I kinda thought you'd be up here by now to help out with lambing, etc. I guess you are coming when the coast is clear, huh??????

Maggie's Farm said...

Miss climbing into the hen house, Auntie Jan? I kinda thought you'd be up here by now to help out with lambing, etc. I guess you are coming when the coast is clear, huh??????

Anonymous said...

Never fear, there is always next year! If I'd had anything to say about it, our new house would be done and I would have been climbing into the hen house, eating fresh eggs, lambing/kidding, snuggling those dear little ones, helping with the bottle feeding, driving to/fro work together, clearing up the cemetery etc. etc. etc. LONG BEFORE now. Never fear, there's always next year ........