Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pokeberry Time

When I pulled in after work today I couldn't help but notice the pokeberries lining the driveway along the barn. I will pick them before the birds eat them all. The berries make a lovely dye color. Sometimes the wool turns yellow, sometimes pink, sometimes red, depending on a variety of things ranging from amount of rain to the alignment of the planets ( I like to think! ) I boil the berries, then strain the juice to get the pits out. I use vinegar as a mordant to make the dye stick. So much to do to get ready for this big show weekend, then a month off before New York State Sheep and Wool at Rhinebeck, my biggest and favorite show of the year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wild ride it must be to see which color arrives with each batch of pokeberries! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Maggie! I"m sure your fiber will be wonderful...I love my bag! Thank you sooo much for my wonderful gift and helping to make my Birthday extra special! See you in the AM!

miaaviva said...

i love the berry pictures! i am so happy that you and aj got back safe and sound! miss you and can't wait to see you friday!!
oxoxoxox
pupkie