Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Catwoman and Robin


Okay, so we did it. Robin and I met in the parking lot of our school and ventured in together, side by side, to give each other encouragement. Robin said we should check our mailboxes in the office. Sure enough, our names were there. We realized we must still be on the payroll. Oh, that BOCES air conditioning is lovely. The secretary was sitting in the office with a hooded sweatshirt on. The bank on South Street in Norwich said 96 F. but BOCES is so cold the employees have to cover up. God bless public education! We made out way down to our classroom and out popped Sharon, our happy, smiling Special Ed. secretary. Sharon runs the place. She keeps track of everything we could possibly need or want. When I want something I call Sharon and she either gets it for me or goes to the higher-ups to ask. As long as we have Sharon we are in good shape. As I turned the key in my classroom door knob I was anxious about how the summer school people left it, but no problem. Everything was pristine, shiny and beautiful. My computer and printer were unplugged with wires spread all over the desk. I called Sharon who said oh, you can figure it out but a Master's Degree only goes so far. I'll have to wait for the Tech or a clever student to help me. Robin and I examined the files of our new "clients" (special ed. talk for our students - or is it "consumer" now?)to become familiar with their backgrounds. Then we unpacked our boxes of goodies - school supplies - we ordered last year. It's like Christmas in August! Robin and I chatted then went our separate ways - me to ship 50 pounds of dyed wool to the mill and Robin to go home to her kids. I feel a lot better about starting school this year after having spent some time in the class, getting my bearings back. We're not going to change too much this year, just spend even more time on writing. The principal has given me permission to use the brand new kiln for potting with my students. There are boxes of nice, soft clay to work with in the closet, left over from the one year my room was used for art. I want to teach the kids how to make hand built tiles. I have to order glazes and read up on potting. Oh, what fun.

1 comment:

Henya said...

I am sure they could not have that school without you. Wish I could join the class.