Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Stormy


Snow was predicted tonight, but I didn't expect such a wind that would shake and bang the barn. Temps dipping to 10 F. and all water bowls and tanks are frozen. A large tank with a floater would be the way to go but Loki is running around the barn with his mother and I don't want a drowned lamb. Besides, I don't think the old electric service can take another plug. With no fall shearing the sheep and goats have full coats on, and there's a good hay pack on the floor of the barn. I have to carry jugs of warm water all around the barn for the dogs, chickens and bunnies. The sheep and goats usually drink theirs up right away so I'm not pouring hot water on ice the next morning. I received a grand and wonderful package from California tonight. I was hoping for another load of Annie's biscotti and I got my wish. It came with a lovely farmy pitcher and cute notes from Hannah and Luke - the best gifts of all. I just came in from chores and think I will make myself a cup of tea and dip some of the delicious morsels into it. More lambs any minute now. I saw another ewe bagged up with a puffy behind. Five more days then Christmas and a few days off to take care of things around here. Mia, AJ and Andrew are coming. They can help me give shots and dock tails on Luna and Loki. I would like to catch the baby goats, worm and vaccinate them, and clip hoofs. Always someone and something that needs attention around here. Big push this weekend to get ready for the holiday, as in tidy up my woefully neglected house and find the box of decorations. I know it's around here somewhere...

3 comments:

miaaviva said...

we can put up a tree when we get there!

Annie said...

So glad the package arrived OK! And I'm really glad Mia and the two strapping men are coming to help you out at Christmas, especially with Matt still out of commission. Here's hoping the lamb rush happens when you have time to deal with it!

Henya said...

So much to do!...
Will keep watching your blog for more news.