Sunday, December 20, 2009

Just Born


As I went back into the barn to bring Lilly and Luna their water bucket, I heard the funny little mutterings of a new mother-to-be talking her baby out of the womb. I turned around and there she was, sliding out of her warm oven into the ice cold world. A big, healthy ewe lamb! Born the Sunday, before Christmas I have to call her Mary Magdalene! I sat down on the hay and watched the story as old as time - a mother washing her offspring with the warm tongue, talking to her the whole time and telling her everything is going to be alright. I waited a while then got Matt to help me get her situated in a pen where mom and babe can be alone and bond. I milked out a good sized jar of colostrum to save for any other newborns that might need it, and got her cord dipped and sweater on. So much to do to get ready for Christmas, but it's hard not to sneak back out into the barn to enjoy the drama going on there. So glad I was home and there to witness the miracle.

2 comments:

Henya said...

Congrads on another beutiful addition to your fiber family.

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Awesome!!!!
HUGS
Kim and crew