Thursday, August 06, 2009

Musings


The weather is just gorgeous - clear, sunny and not too hot - and looks like it might stay that way through Saturday night. I can't believe it. Farmers are cutting hay and actually might get some bales in. Mia called this morning to chat - a lovely way to start the day to hear my darling daughter's cheery little voice. She's my most ardent supporter and it just doesn't get any better than that!! I'm sewing like crazy - having so much fun I don't know what to do with myself, three bags done yesterday, and cutting up a lot of soap. I got the Unscented Honey Oatmeal on the rack last night and am working in the Black Cherry now. Several bags cut out but I have to do some chores out in the barn. I think we might actually have two sunny Saturdays in a row, if the rain forecast for this weekend holds off until Saturday night. Many tourists coming through Hamilton these days, and, in a couple of weeks, the Colgate kids come back with their moneyed parents. Loren Wildenstein, my big, beefy, handsome, hired man is coming on Sunday to help me get the boys seperated from the flock. I only have Othello (PB Merino) and Wooster (PB BFL) with the sheep but there are a few angora goat boys who have to come out. Janet Ambrose eats her goats but I can't do that. I'm not a big meat eater as it is, and the thought of any kind of exotic meat is, well, unsettling...and I see their little faces looking at me... I can't keep them all over the winter this year and I'm cutting down on the flock. Many are getting very old for sheep and will live out their years here as long as I can keep them comfortable. Fewer lambs every year will help. I have many shepherd friends who are still big producers and I will always be knee deep in wool. Speaking of wool, if I don't get to sorting, washing and dyeing I will be in big trouble when shows start - and they are starting soon. Better get to it.

No comments: