Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Felting in Pompey






I dropped off a box of fresh Lavender soap wrapped in lovely tie-dyed purple fabric at Jane Porter's fabulous studio in Hamilton before meeting my fiber friends under the gazebo in the park. Jane, ever so kind and gracious, was thrilled to get it and immediately started putting the bars out on display. With my banana-soy milk shake from Hamilton Whole Foods in hand we set out for Pompey/Jamesville (I am still learning about that area) on route 20. Susan Carr tells me route 20 is the oldest coast to coast highway in America. Surprise to me. With summer at it's zenith, the ride was breathtakingly beautiful - we live in Paradise (in the summer that is!) We arrived at Prof. Janet Ambrose's Fiber Amusement Park and immediately became immersed in felting a wool/mohair/alpaca rug. Lisa Merian was checking out Janet's felting machine for possible purchase, custom built for her by a former student. We carefully spread out the fibers and placed the rows on the tarp while the professor shared her vast knowledge of fiber with us. After wrapping up the rug and placing it on the machine Janet took us on a tour of her farm. She lives on top of a beautiful hill with Syracuse in the distance. Janet has alpacas, angora goats and cashmere goats. We visited with all of them. Lisa closed the deal and we headed back to Hamilton. Susan suggested we get a bite to eat at La Iguana. Margaritas topped off the day perfectly. Being the light-weight that I am, one drink was enough to make me creep along the empty back country roads on the way home. A huge glowing orange full moon guided me the whole way.

No comments: