Wednesday, August 26, 2009

More Chicks in the Bathroom


As I was working in the barn yesterday I heard the distinctive PEEP - PEEP - PEEP of newborn chicks. The mother hen hatched her chicks in a feed pan on top of a rabbit cage. I had been saying hello to her every night when I feed my bunnies, and wondered how she was going to get her chicks down from there, but I decided I would "cross that bridge..." later. The chicks did hatch, but some jumped over the edge of the pan and fell into the empty rabbit cage below. Mom kept talking to them and they didn't seem to be that upset. After all, they had no idea why they were in a rabbit cage and not under their mother's wings! What to do? I waited until nightfall, thinking the hen would be a little calmer, and not attack me. I sneaked in to grab the chicks in the cage. They would surely chill and die if I didn't do something. I now have five little chicks in the bathroom. I'll check for more bunny cage chicks, and figure out how I'm going to get the hen and her babies down from there. I better drink some more coffee first...

No comments: