Thursday, August 13, 2009

Halcyon Days


The weather is gorgeous again today. It's fantastic hay weather. Finally we have a stretch of sunny, warm days after a summer of dreary wetness. Will, my dairy farmer neighbor, is busy getting some second cut done on Jan's fields. My elevator motor is broken but Loren is coming over to stack bales and will see if a motor he owns will fit. Wouldn't it be a minor miracle if he could get that elevator to work again. Matt is consumed with weatherization teaching, meetings with NY State people, and planning a trip to see Sean in CA. I met Mary and the dogs to swim last evening and it was sooooo wonderful. When I arrived at the pond I found sheep eating the ragweed and milkweed next to the shore. Some were having a drink. It was the ultimate bucolic setting. Mary came with the dogs and our party began. Bucket, Zella and Clyde relish the water like I've only seen with my Bodie...but Bodie was driven to work the ball back and forth. Mary's dogs swim round and round loving the feel of it. Zella approached me and climbed on my raft! It was a big thrill, as the three Border Collies are very attached to Mary and are always watching her to anticipate her directions. It takes time to build a relationship with these intelligent dogs and earn their respect. Holly and Izzy watched from the shore. They are very reticent around the high-powered, talented BC team. What canine wouldn't be? The cold spring waters refrigerated my body and I was cool for the rest of the night. After dinner and chores I wrapped Unscented Honey Oatmeal Soap in some cute psychodelic fabric I found in the tractor shed. It feels great to get another box of soap ready to put out. Every bar pays for a bale of hay. Two bars pays for an hour of Loren's labor...it goes on and on.

No comments: