Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Good Enough to Eat

I finished another box of shaving soap last night. I cut up odds and ends of all my varieties of soaps and melt them down over several days. It's a lot of work, mashing and scraping off the sides of the big pot. Pouring is another matter - I have to put on long sleeves and leather gloves, then hold the pot while pouring the hot molten mass into a cardboard box. I shore up the sides to avoid sagging, then let it set overnight. One man told me a block lasted him two years. No containers to throw away, no chemicals, no flourocarbons released into the air - and all that shea butter, olive oil, honey, oatmeal and essential oils on your skin, leaving it soft and clean. I cut up the blocks then tie a brush on top and there you go. I am also putting the shaving soap in Suzanne Farrington's hand thrown mugs now. She trades with me for wool. Good deal all around.

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Oh its times like this I wish we could smell though the screen -mmmmmmm clove soap.
HUGS
Kim