Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fingers Crossed


We just might make the farmer's market this weekend. The forecast says 20% chance of rain. My pop-up tent, the one that replaced the tent that washed away in one of the Delaware River floods (I just hope it wasn't consumed by a whale), is not waterproof. Don't ask. Somehow the person who purchased it for me decided a sun shade pop up was enough for now and we would purchase the waterproof cover later. Later never came and after moving I don't have the paperwork. I could always pull an ugly tarp over it but it's my first year at the fancy Chenango Colorscape and I don't want to look like country bumpkin from Brookfield (which is exactly who I am!) Moving forward...I have a pot of Hot Fuschia BFL lambswool which I plan on blending with purple - orange - red - and maybe golden yellow. We'll see. I get on a roll and the blends just happen. I like several colors and fibers in my roving. Some of the fibers are so fine they tear in the carding machine and become "tweed." Janet Ambrose, the textile professor from SU, tells me second cuts put back into the processing was the origin of tweed. Very intesting. I have a big tub of brown Merino and black BFL I need to sort through for a plain, natural run. I had a request for it last year at Rhinebeck. Hope that lady comes back if I make it. It will be lovely any way. It's still hot and humid here and more rain on deck for this afternoon. I better get the hot fuschia washed and on the rack. I am backed up with drying space already. I found some old fleeces from when the sheep were grazing in Pennsylvania. Oh, they are so luscious, and, I have to admit, better wool than what I am raising here. Long, glossy, sturdy locks. I had heard that the eastern Pa. dirt is the best on the east coast. Too bad that dirt cost too much money for poor teachers like me.

1 comment:

Henya said...

I can not wait to see it. "Hot Fuschia" wow the name itself makes my needles itch.