Thursday, August 16, 2007

Froggie Time



I took my binoculars up to the pond last night. It was fun looking at the far away silos and checking out my neighbors across the valley. I had another use for them in mind...I wanted to look at the big froggies that watch me as I play with the dogs. I see their big round eyes above the water line, and occasionally a little of their heads. They stay far enough away to be safe from the dogs, and seem to know I am not a water entity and won't bother them. However, last night, one of the bigger froggies came very, very close and wasn't afraid of me at all. I was sitting on a lawn chair and thought surely he would move when I stood up...but no, he just sat and watched as I slowly walked over to him. I was able to slip a stick under him and lift him up for a picture. You can see one of the tiny frogs that Hannah and Luke would catch next to him in the water to get an idea of the size difference. I have always liked frogs and hate to see them splayed and dissected in science class. They are great bug eaters and don't bother anybody (besides the bugs). And they make lovely music in the pond.

No comments: