Thursday, August 02, 2007

Deep Woods Works




I went outside to tease my drying fiber and was immediately bitten by biting flies. This is the first time I've experience BITING flies here. Yes, we have flies...no mosquitoes, no ticks but flies are us. I haven't experienced this kind of fly war since I was up above the Arctic Circle 40 years ago. I had to run back into the house and get my Deep Woods. I has more DEET in it than the other products. I sprayed it on, went back out to the drying rack and no flies landed on me. I dared them but they stayed away. I've purchased a few fly trap bags from the feed store and they seem to put a dent in the fly population, but there are always thousands to take their place. I can control it in the apartment, but not the milk room and the barn at large. We could conceivably have frost in September or October, so we won't suffer for too long. We could also have a balmy fall like last year, when the farmers got a third but and the sheep could graze practically until Christmas.
Oh, well, we just have to deal with it. It's great not to have to spray the dogs for ticks and fleas, a first for me.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Beautiful colors maggie! Hope you're keeping cool in all this ugly heat! I hope to see you soon!

Gretchen said...

maggie apparently this thing won't let me leave comments as just me...so as you can see...i've set up blogs for school on this site...as i liked yours so much! ahha. Craziness. Gretchen