Sunday, August 07, 2011

WAH-WAH Time


I always get depressed when Hannah and Luke leave. We have been joined at the hip for a month and I love their company. They are ready to go home and their parents want them back, understandably. The Dallas Palace awaits them, with the backyard pool a few steps away from the spacious designer kitchen. Soft carpets will cushion their bare feet and big bedrooms where they can play and fantasize in airconditioned comfort are ready for them. My son, Eric, wants them to "see how the other side lives" and I think I have accomplished that. They go out to do chores willingly every night and enjoy taking care of the animals. They've learned that without daily care the farm animals will die, and sometimes they die anyway, but that's part of life on the farm. Hannah and Luke are great at entertaining themselves and so easy to please and feed. If I am busy with something they just get into a book. I have several miserable projects planned, which are good to do when I'm feeling perfectly awful anyway. One is to pull out these old rotten fence posts and roll up the rusty barbed wire. I'll have to fill in the holes, as I've already stepped in one of them in the dark. That's a good way to crack your ankle. I'll never forget how my poor brother Freddie stepped in a six inch hole and broke his leg in two places. My hillside is full of holes. September will be here before we know it. Hannah is going into eighth grade and Luke will be in fourth. Annie and Eric keep them busy with all kinds of wonderful adventures like sailing, camping on the beach on South Padre Island, and shooting at the range. Hannah will continue her Civil Air Patrol activities and Luke will be busy with Cub Scouts and tae kwon do. I have shows to get ready for and I have to go into school to meet with my supervisor about my new position. Life goes on. I don't know when I'll see them again, but that's life in our global society. Many happy memories to see us through.

No comments: