Monday, August 08, 2011

Packing Up



I slipped on my Wellies and ran up the hill with the doggies in my nightie-night gown this morning. Oh, how I love having a bit of land to call my own. There was no one to see me unless they had very powerful binoculars, and even then, who cares? I found the sheep grazing on the high meadow - the ultimate bucolic setting. I'm packing up Hannah and Luke today. I emptied their suitcases and organized their things in little piles. It's been a long time since I sniffed kiddie armpits and crotches for freshness and not-so-fresh. They are hanging out, just chilling today with their kiddie shows on TV. I'm making them swim in the pond tonight for a bath. Oh, how wonderful to go for days with no bathing and not have a care in the world about it. And they don't even show it! Another mother hen hatched a big brood of chicks somewhere in the barn. She's proudly parading them around. I know Luke will miss the chickens, as he fed them every night and has two chicks in a cage. He says he "found" them separated from their mother and felt he had to take care of them. Hmmmmmm... Luke sneaked two fertilized eggs from beneath a sitting mother. He says he is taking them back to Texas with him. I suspect his Daddy will make an omelette out of them pretty quick.

No comments: