Sunday, August 21, 2011

Market Musings


The market was slow despite perfect weather and many quality vendors. It's tough to compete with the Bouckville Antique Extravaganza, the Norwich Blues Festival and other local, seasonal venues. The blueberry farmer was absent so I didn't get my preferred breakfast. Candace was not there, making me think she was picking through antiques over on Route 20. I was anxious to see what lovely creations she made out of my Mother Fiber. There is a new Amish farmer from Ft. Plain next to me with many baked goods and veggies. The Amish are moving into this area big time. Fine with me, as they farm large pieces of land instead of subdividing the farms to sell as lots for absentee city slickers. Way too many vegetable farmers at the market, making me happy I'm not raising produce and dragging it over there just to take it home. Sure, I drag my soap, totes and fiber there but my stuff doesn't go bad - I just save it for fall shows. I was thinking I wouldn't sell much of anything then some creme went along with a few soap sales. A grandmother bought one of the totes I made last week along with some soap, which I promptly spent on cat, dog food and olive oil to make more soap. It comes in, then goes out. I was sorry to learn the Mizrahi Farm couple have separated. I took my class to visit their Norwich farm last year and they were so hospitable. They were raising those fantastic Dexter cows which are great for small homesteads - nicely tempered animals who give lots of milk and meat - along with Jacob sheep and chickens. The Mizrahis would bring their big brood of kids to the market and set them up with a lemonade stand of their own and a huge farm booth. I saw Mrs. Mizrahi there by herself and the tiny new baby, Avita, and asked where the kids are. When she said they are with their father this weekend I thought, Oh, no. She volunteered that they broke up over the winter, but she has a young girl come and help her with farm work. I bought a box of fresh apricots and homemade granola for my breakfast and went on my way, musing about all the awful pressures of keeping animals alive over the winter in this unforgiving climate. Their house was across the road and down a path to the barn if I recall. I live in the barn with the sheep, making getting to them so much easier. As I was packing up my booth I saw her from afar, doing all the loading with that little baby toddling around. Wish I could help her. I came home to the farm and chilled a bit. Have to cut up a TON of soap today and set it out to cure. Lucky me, whatever I did to tweak my recipe causes the soap to cure so quickly I can use it right away. I always allow it to cure before wrapping for customers, however. I think I'll whack off a chunk of Lime, or Mango, or Lemon Eucalyptus (great bug repellent) and get in the bath tub with it for some "quality control testing." Another big cup of French Roast first I think.

1 comment:

Henya said...

Glad you had some sales.
So sorry about Mizrahis. I do not know them, but know of them. They are friends of a friend and I heard lots about them. So strange how the huge Net turned out to be pretty small.