Saturday, June 18, 2011

Time to Spin


I forget how wonderful and special spinning is until I do it at the farmer's market. People stop and stare. Some are totally confounded at what I am doing, which is amazing to me as spinning is as old as time. Clothes are made with the same concept today - spinning bobbins in the textile factories, only they are controlled by computers. People are enthralled with my handmade Robin wheel and ask all about it. Today I was spinning 100% mohair from my older colored goats. I overdyed it purple, pink and gold and it came out lovely and muted. I'll ply it and knit myself some boot socks for the coming winter. Mohair wears like iron and the heels won't wear out like wool socks. People blend nylon in with wool for socks but you don't need to do that with mohair. My barn boots are cold and clammy, and usually damp, so I need some serious socks to get me to put them on and go about my chores.

2 comments:

Stacy Orndorff said...

My 80-something year old Great Aunt is still spinning and goes to the school each year to do a demo. She visited our homeschool coop. It is mesmerizing to watch. A nearly lost art. Thanks for keeping it going!

Marilla said...

I also spin at a farmer's market, and love talking to people about what I am doing. I feel good about attempting to educate about the process of sheep to yarn, and love watching people when the light bulb goes on when they get what happens.