Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Snow Storm Coming


Another storm is coming tomorrow night through Friday. I'm not surprised. Three years ago I had a little doe kid freeze to death during the day, before I got home from work, on April 17th. I think of that day as a sort of marker for how long it can stay cold up here. People are moaning and groaning, but we will deal with it. I've been enjoying the extra light after work. I stopped to visit the house where Izzy was born, which I've passed every day for the five years I've had Izzy, but never did. This time I saw someone on the porch and couldn't resist. Izzy had been returned to the breeder then passed around from owner to owner, but has a forever home with me. The woman was so happy to hear Izzy was finally in such a good place. I was able to meet Izzy's mother! What a thrill. Izzy looks just like her. Sadly, Izzy's sister was also returned to the breeder, but is not a happy well-adjusted Rat Terrier like Izzy. This dog is growly and snappy and runs away, so unlike my Izzy. Low and behold, when I returned home yesterday Izzy came running up to me, quite hysterical. I had just been bragging about Izzy and how he never runs away, but on this day he sneaked out of the barn when I was doing morning chores, and stayed away until I left for work. I know he was busying himself around the farm, chasing chickens and cats and eating tasty bits of old manure. Then suddenly he realized I was gone off to wherever-it-is his woman goes to every day. Izzy missed his sofa and the other inside dogs, and had a long, worrisome day. There is a whole barn filled with hay he could have cozied up in, and maybe he did, but he was really happy to see me. Chores are waiting, but I took the time to go through another bag or two of old clothes in the tractor shed. I was oohing and aaahing about the lovely things I was pulling out of the bags. I'm so sentimental and emotional about things, and memories came flashing back, one by one - the dress I wore on my honeymoon cruise, the outfit I crocheted while waiting for AJ and Mia to be born, the dress I wore when I flew to Atlanta to see my mother when she had her stroke, the sweater I wore to visit Eric at VMI, etc. I reached in a bag and felt something hard. Is this a shoe or boot I thought? Well, after groping around it and feeling some fur, I took a better look and saw that it was a dead possum, and I was holding on to it's skull. I confess I made a bit of a start when I saw the dead face staring up at me. Luckily this was a bag of sexy nightgowns, which I can surely do without these days. The contents went in the dumpster. Don't know what to do with the poor possum. I carried in two bundles of sweaters, dresses and pants, which included an Icelandic cardigan I forgot about, more fantastic slacks that are too small (not for too long I vow) and some cute summer outfits. I am all set for this spring and summer and next fall and winter. I'm glad I hauled the treasure up to the barn with me where it will be safe from sick possums looking for warmth and comfort. If only I had a closet to put it in. That's another matter altogether. Got the doggies up to the top of the hill, now it's time for dinner, chores, another fleece to sort, and then it will be bed time and a very welcome sleep.

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Bad Izzy for running away -so glad he came home safe and sound! He knows he is very special to Maggie's Farm :)
Yuck on the possum. I would have screamed murder LOL
HUGS to all the critters!
Kim and crew
including the newest edition Dutch -who reminds me soo much of Izzy -he just wants to be loved and snuggled. And LOVES bedtime!