Monday, March 07, 2011

Snow Day!


Robin, my classroom aide, and I were wondering how we were going to make it through the month of March. There are no holidays, and only one "staff development" day. Matt, the person I'm married to at the time, is jealous of my snow days. I told him I went to college - full time - for SEVEN years to have these snow days. Besides, I don't lay on the sofa watching movies when I have a snow day. I take care of critters, I make stuff, and I make stuff. I know, I know, I should clean the house - but I don't have anywhere to put all this stuff. Until my carpenter husband, who says he's not a carpenter anymore, builds me some closets and cabinets, I'll continue to battle the STUFF debacle...or should I say "fiber art accoutrement." I don't think he will get out to work today either. There are four or five foot drifts everywhere and the snow is still coming down hard. I woke up at 5 to a cold apartment and went right to the wood stove to stoke it up without thinking about what I was doing. Well, I didn't get the pipe heated enough with a kindling fire before I put the logs on and got some serious back puffing. With the windows frozen shut, I was staggering around with painful tearing eyes trying to get some air into the place. The little bathroom window let some clean air in along with icy snow, which felt good at first. I eventually got the stove working but it will be a while before I can see properly. I tried to get the doggies out but they had to jump over a big drift which I didn't want to jump over. I held Pip and Tanner's leashes (they are the runaway dogs) while they climbed up on the drift to pee. Holly sailed right over it like a missile and did her business. Izzy wouldn't even try. He is very good at sneaking little pees here and there so I don't see what he's doing. Ordinarily I would take them out to where the sheep are to pee on the hay, but the White Boys are in the barn and would eat Pip for breakfast. You know that story. Better get out to do the bottle lambs. One observation last night while I was sitting in the jug with Tiny Dancer. The lambs and kids who are nursing from their mothers are eating hay. The bottle lambs are not. They just wait for the next bottle. I wonder why? Maybe the fat content in the milk replacer holds them. I have three sheep to deliver, I think. Why the I think? One has such a thick fleece I can't really tell, and she moves away from me so fast I can't feel her udder. Better get out there and check for new lambs, and quell the screams of the bottle babies.

No comments: