Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pee in This Cup


I had to take the required physical to drive students today. I had quite the going over by two M.D's., along with coordination tests, eye-tests, peripheral vision test, banging on my knees, etc. Blood pressure 118/80, the best it's been in a long, long time. A year ago Nurse Tonya had me going to the school nurse to get it checked once a week and keep a record of it. Oh, yes, I had to pee in the cup. They don't want druggies driving their precious kids around. As it was 10 in the morning I know they found a healthy dose of caffeine, which is the only drug I consume - thank you Jesus. One of the last questions the doc asked me was do I feel strong enough to pull a kid out of a burning car. I told him it depends on which kid. He was not amused.

After school I had to stay two hours later for another session of Therapeutic Crisis Intervention training. Basically, we learn how to diffuse a potentially violent situation. We are taken through many scenarios which we have to act out and then critique each other. I finally escaped to a lovely, although gray, afternoon with air smelling a bit like springtime. I could hear lambs screaming for their bottles 25 miles away, which put a damper on my springtime enthusiasm, then realized I had to get gas before I could start home. You don't want to run out of gas in a cell phone dead zone where you rarely pass more than two cars coming the other way during rush hour. I had to go all the way through Norwich to the gas station where I can redeem my grocery store points and get gas for 80 cents a gallon cheaper. It really helps! I made it home in time to take the doggies up the hill in daylight. I'm still hiking in snow, but there are bare spots and no drifts to sink in. I love to see the little springs bubbling up through the pasture grass. I think we are over the hump so to speak. I know the sheep will be thrilled to get out on the hill. It can't happen soon enough for me.

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

LOL I can just imagine the doctors face when you said that :)
I'll bet the doggies loved the hike up the hill!
HUGS to all
Kim and crew