Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Luna Has a Boy



I had to stay after work today for a Therapeutic Crisis Intervention meeting. Don't ask!! My quick stop at the market in New Berlin put me home at 5. As I banged through the two milk room doors with my packages, I did a quick scan of the sheep as I always do. Everything looked okay. Dumped my groceries inside, gave my sick husband his bananas, chocolate donuts, locally baked artisan rye bread, changed my clothes and got the doggies out. The wind is fierce today and the temps are diving. I said a little prayer of thanks that my animals are inside where they are warm and dry. Once the dogs had peed and pooed I got hem back inside and went out to the sheep with my bottles. As I was feeding the little ones I notice a baaaaaa on the other side of the maternity fence. I looked over to their side and spied a little one with cord still dangling. He was a little pitiful, going from sheep to sheep, looking for his mother. Nobody would claim him. I went around examining rear ends and shure enough, I found mom - Luna! Luna didn't seem overly interested when I held her little ram lamb in front of her, but she did talk to her - a good sign. With Matt on the sofa I was concerned about catching Luna. He managed to come out for ten minutes to hold the gate to the jug open so I could get her inside with her baby. I got a cup of colostrum from her cute little udder and filled up the boy's tummy. I put one of Kimmie Cornerstone's new sweaters on him - oh, it's so cute - and gave him to mom. She was happy with her own hay and bucket of warm molasses water. I left them to get acquainted and went about my chores. They are bonding nicely, with mom making baby-talk to him and nuzzling him with her nose while he poked around her udder finding out where the next drink comes from. If they were loose in the flock she might never have mothered him, but enclosed together it's quite the tender scene.

No comments: