Thursday, April 12, 2007

Snowy, Cold Spring in New York


Okay, so I just checked weather.com. We are looking at a week of rain, snow and cold. Glad I took my class out on the mountain behind the school yesterday. There were only two of them due to suspensions, etc., and the sun was shining. I just couldn't make them sit in a windowless classroom and wind yarn around clothesline for coiled baskets. We took off up the construction road to look for the bear tracks we saw on our last walk - no more tracks. It wasn't long before the boys were throwing rocks, play fighting, acting like boys. I confess I enjoyed their antics. I had experienced problems with both of them and this was a good chance to bond. My knee and ankle on my broken leg are giving me a heck of a time and I had to walk slower than usual. They teased me about not keeping up and would run ahead. Interesting that they always waited for me...We got back in time for lunch and ate together in the classroom. Unsolicited by me, they told their individual stories of misbehavior that landed them in my school. It was great to get to know them better and get a look at the whole picture. Today is cold and it's snowing. I woke up with a sick headache and when I put the leg on the floor the knee said no way. I know that's what sick days are for but I like going to work and feel out of sorts when I don't. As old as I am I hope to die on the job and won't be able to take the sick days with me anyway.

No comments: