Sunday, April 15, 2007

Farm Business...


The snow storm is raging, it's getting dark and it's time to feed the sheep. Little Velvet is sitting on my lap. She is Celeste's unwanted twin and I am her mother-person now. I feared for her life a week ago, but she is getting stronger every day. When she hears my voice she runs from wherever she is hunkered down in the barn to me. I am feeding her several times a day to build up her strength. She doesn't take much at a time but is more vigorous about nursing. We made it to Darryl Lanning, our new accountant, this morning. What a good guy. Gretchen and Laurie did me a big favor, hooking us up with Darryl. He is no-nonsense and tells it like it is. I have to make some money or the IRS won't like it. I have massive deductions this year, and not much income from my farm business. Darryl says I have to show that I am trying to make the business work. Moving, setting up farm, new job, lambing and kidding so soon in the season, etc., have all conspired to put a dent in my production output. The reality is...I have to get my butt in gear. The web site, although beautiful and fun to look at, even for me, is not going to result in more time on the farm. I can tell I will still have to haul my things to where the people are. People love my stuff, but they are not shopping on the web site...for now. That's okay, I love the shows, and renew friendships from year to year. It's wonderful to see someone walking down the aisle, looking from side to side, and then their face lights up when they see my booth. They don't remember my name, but they know that this is the place where they bought that great soap, or marvy bag, etc. That's a heady experience for me. I had hoped to spend more time on the farm. I don't have my Mia nearby to babysit the critters the way I used to. She is four hours away now (boo-hoo!) and I don't know anyone here who is up to the Herculean task of running the farm for the weekend. Not too many folks want seven dogs in the bed with them, either! Enter the weekly farmer's market in Hamilton. It starts on May 5 and is only 19 miles away. Here's hoping those Colgate students and their parents like my goods...

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Thinking about my dad and his farm, when it comes down to it, people buy a lot of what is necessary and what is convenient. My sister sells yarn and wool, but her real money is made by selling animals and finished goods. Lots of people talk about their fiber art, but the reality is that really very few want to go to the trouble of making their own sweater, socks, etc. I see hand spun yarn on Etsy or E Bay, but it is never enough to actually make a garment from, and always expensive. So, hmm. I guess it's necessary to look at a potential sale as if you were the buyer. Is it enough, is it what I need, what will I have when I get it home? Also, I'mnot sure what your readership is, but it might help to post a few photos of your batts and yarns here on your blog. Exposure is what it's all about! And maybe check with your LYS to see about a possibiliy of selling your fiber through them.

Kathleen said...

oh, and what about a link to your web site right there in plain sight on the blog, without having to go to the profile info? People want everything right there at their fingertips and are not likely to go looking for a website if they don't know there is one, at first glance.