Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Please Let It Be Over!


I had a terrible feeling of dread and doom all night. We had decided to go to every other day with grain feeding to stretch what I have left. I don't want to buy another $700 plus worth of grain. I owe the electric company $1,000. I don't get it...that one little electric heater in that #$%^&*@ trailer is using THAT much juice? I left it off last night and heated the trailer with the propane stove. Matt had installed electric heaters in the apt to heat up the sheet rock for spackle. That must have contributed substantially. Good thing the electric people are so nice...they are working out yet another payment plan for me. Not getting in the apartment on time has just killed me. I bought that wood stove to heat the place just so Matt could finish it before winter set in, and things just started going downhill. Oh, well, for the here and now - I mixed the milk, dealt with the attack of the bottle babies, fed Velvet her kid milk replacer and went to check on Murphy Brown, Moira's new baby. She's gone!!! I spent an anxious ten minutes looking for her. Did the dogs decide to go wild and eat lamb? I have had a terrible time feeding them because the sheep mob them and eat their dog food! When I feed them in the dog pen they go postal on each other, so I have to feed them seperately. I am going to get their ----- cut off as soon as I can afford it! Well, I found Murphy Brown in the far corner of the barn cuddling up behind another ewe. Took her back to mom who won't let her nurse...just kept kicking her away. Last night I checked for milk flow and couldn't get any milk out of Moira's teat. I feared engorgement and took her temp. 100 degrees - a little high for a sheep. Gave her a shot of Banamine and LA200. When I put the lamb back this morning Moira kept kicking her away. Matt called and said to check the baby's teeth...not too sharp. That's not the problem. Soooo here I sit waiting for Dr. Rachel to call back. Can't get hay down,etc. until she calls. Moira is making noise. I sure don't want another bottle baby...hope I can get this resolved. Okay, Dr. Rachel just called. I am to give her 2 cc. of oxytocin, the same stuff that makes the uterus contract and helps get the babies out. It also works for milk let down. I have to go pick up a steroid shot and a lasix shot from the infirmary. I may have to do massage, milking out, etc. I have to do chores and watch her. What was I saying about taking next winter off???

No comments: