Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Love Those Black Girls



When I was feeding and haying everyone after getting Dallas Alice and Lola situated with their babies, I noticed one young black doe standing aside, not eating. That's a sure sign. This doe didn't even look very pregnant, but there it was, a bubble coming out of her end. I hurried to do the bunnies, and there it was, a slick black bundle on the hay. I wonder if she even pushed. They should all come out like this. And yes, it was what I hoped for, a black doe kid. My absolute favorite goat - a black doe kid! Oh, that black mohair! What a beautiful baby. I had to let one mom and kid go to make room in the maternity ward. I had quite a time getting the new mom in there, with the baby tucked under one arm and holding mom by one horn. The bottle babies picked this time to trip me up any way they could. Somehow we made it across the barn and into the pen. With no one here to hold her I had to lie her down to trim around her udder and get some colostrum out for the baby. She wasn't too bad, and after getting worked over by Dallas Alice earlier, it was a piece of cake. Now everyone is tucked in, full bellies, and this shepherd/goatherd is crawling into the trailer to bed.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Woot! She's gorgeous! Her mom's nice looking black, too. Who's the sire?