Saturday, April 07, 2007

Goodnight Barn


It's time to go night-night but who knows what the night will bring. I don't have enough pens for all the new arrivals, and Matt won't build any more. I don't have the materials to do it myself. If any come in the night - and I suspect they will - I will build pens out of hay bales. I have some goats looking like they are ready to pop. Tiny baby goats are scattered around the barn, cuddled up in their little sweaters, some in feed bowls, with moms nearby. Sometimes a mom will stash her kid somewhere and go to eat or drink water, then return later. One yearling ewe who I didn't think was bred is pawing a hole in the dirt next to the dog pen! I guess she considers that a private place away from the flock. Pawing in the ground is a sure sign that birth is imminent. It's still cold, the stars are out, no more snow tonight. I confess I am enjoying this last blast of cold. I have a heavy sweater on again, just when I thought I would be stowing them away. I tried to put the gate up but several goats got outside to do some stargazing and wouldn't come back in. If I get back to the trailer now I might catch a few minutes of Saturday night live before I switch off. Tomorrow will be eventful I think.

No comments: