Sunday, April 01, 2007

Little Tonya



I have a constant sidekick around the farm. Tonya, daughter of my prolapsed ewe, and first bottle baby, follows me everywhere. She has learned how to scoot through doors undetected, through dogs and people, no matter how careful we are. It can be a bit of pain, when I am carrying buckets, hay bales, etc., or just plain in a hurry. She is a purebred Bluefaced Leicester ewe, and so perfect I think I want to show her this fall at Rhinebeck. BFL is the featured breed and I would like to be represented, although a sheep show person I am not. I'm happy at my booth making money in order to have my sheep. I don't sell sheep. The only sheep I ever sold I rescued from the abbatoir when the people decided his back was not quite right and didn't want to use him for breeding. At first sight he was the "most beautiful sheep they had ever seen." Then some other snotty show people came over and convinced them otherwise. They were willing to give him back to me and I convinced Matt to help me go get him. That is my Patrick. I neutered him and he will be mine forever - giving me luscious fleeces every year. Back to Tonya...I will halter train her and bring her to Rhinebeck to show her off, see how we both do in the show ring, then bring her home where she belongs.

No comments: