Saturday, October 10, 2009

Last Farmer's Market





It was a leapt of faith that took us to the market this morning. I was hoping the weather report erred on the side of sun, which it did last weekend when I didn't believe it. We drove to Hamilton in fog and drizzle and I thought I must be insane. There were few vendors in the dreary town square so we decided to get breakfast and wait for the weather to improve. The Utica Cafe, right off the square is a fabulous new restaurant with comfy sofas, two flat screen TV's, all kinds of snacks and treats, and the NY Times. I ordered a spinach omelet which took at least a half hour (there were only two other customers there) but it was fine with me since I got to read the paper for the first time in weeks. We set up at the market and although there was no downpour the temperature held steady at about 40 and the sky stayed grey. It was one of those "business was lousy but I had a great time" days. The sun came out around noon, as predicted, but my pop-up almost blew away twice and I just caught the bag rack toppling over a few times. Notecards would fly through the air like birds. Fortunately I had on wool socks and Lisa's birthday present, my fantastic waterproof North Face windbreaker. Her husband is "in the business" and she shipped it to me from San Francisco just in time for winter to arrive. I had some good recognition of my new bags from two customers who already own bags, and would have sold another had I not made it so big (it's a curse!!) Susan Carr, my dear fiber friend from Earlville came by to say hello. She's the one who, last week in Saratoga, when she found out I was in desperate need of a car but found out too late as she doesn't have internet in her log cabin since she's one of my three best sheep friends who are not "online" and like it that way, came running up to me and said MAGGIE! You can have my VW Cabriolet!! I'll call David and tell him to get it ready for you! Fortunately I had made plans to get the mini-van and didn't need her car by then, but the fact that she wanted to help and offered it to me was very, very gratifying. I may be able to brave upstate NY winters in small trailers with no heat or water, but when it comes to having transportation to work, and my birthday, I am very needy! I made enough money to buy some gorgeous peppers and veggies to make some hearty meals for next week. I'm trying so hard to eat nutritious foods and keep the various flu viruses from taking hold. I bought us lunch, a cup of Mexican lime soup, at the Hamilton Whole Foods and bought my Clan of Candace earrings there, as Candy was not at the market today (smart girl!) Now I can give Gretchen back her ear bobs which she kindly loaned me when I lost one Clan of Candace under the bed. Home to my critters and my sewing machine. Life is good.

No comments: