Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cold Tonight




Forecast says 28F tonight. Better clear the fiber and fabric away from the wood stove. I got home from the market and just had to climb the hill with the doggies to take in this glorious sunshine. You never know when it will stay away for extended periods here in my valley, just east of Lake Ontario. I love living on a hill. Flat land is better for farming, as in making hay, but a rolling hillside is so very picturesque and full of character. I think the sheep like it, too, as they can climb up high and peer down on their world below. I climbed up to the pond and found our little cabana blown down, with the colorful rafts looking rather forlorn on the rocks. The water is crystal clear and I thought I might see the big goldfish, or is he a carp by now, floating around. Maybe he's buried himself in the mud already, and gone to sleep for the winter. Maybe the snapper I pushed into the pond to save her from the dogs has eaten him. Oh, the secrets that pond knows.

No comments: