Sunday, October 11, 2009

At Home Today


It's the first day in a long time that I don't have to throw on clothes and get the heck outta here. Feels weird, but then, it feels like it should be this way all the time. I know I'll work until they carry me out feet first, wherever it is. Would I appreciate staying at home if I didn't have to leave it so much? I think I would, but who knows. I invested a LOT of anxiety, sweat and tears - not really, my last job made me cry but not this one so far (I'm older and meaner), and no blood (yet) and once a teacher has tenure she's reluctant to start over with that three year trial period somewhere else. Besides, the older I get the more set in my ways I become. I have a LOT to do today, bags to sew, soap to wrap, fiber to organize into sampler packs, critters to take care of, an apartment in desperate need of cleaning (so what else is new) and all these vegetables I bought yesterday to cut up and cook down. Two giant bags of gorgeous peppers, different colors, with lovely seeds inside that my chickens will enjoy. The air is crisp and cold outside and the sheep I left out last night are lying on the hillside. No wood stove going yet. It's too big for this apartment and once going it will drive you outside. Great for January, but October? I'd rather throw on a sweater and not light the stove. I miss a real fireplace, where I could have a little smoldering fire to sit in front of and spin and make the house smell good. If I get my studio built upstairs I could put grates in the floor and this big stove will heat it. Dream on...I'll get another cup of coffee and spin my dreams into the yarn.

No comments: