Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sunday Morning in the Barn


I had hoped by now I would have more outside pictures of the flock, but it is turning out to be a cold, rainy spring in Central New York. Okay by me. Anything that keeps the flies away a little longer. When I was a teenager I took a "roots" trip to Sweden and Finland. We were way up above the arctic circle visiting a relative who lived a lot like I do. It was the first time I saw anything related to spinning, as this auntie spun and wove all her textiles. Conditions were a bit primitive. The bathroom facility consisted of two tree stumps standing on end, with a board going across them. The board had two holes carved out - and this potty station was out in the middle of a field next to the house. Most of my bodily functions just stopped for the couple of days we were there. At least I have my trusty camp potty in the milkroom. But anyway...what I remember the most, other than sitting on a swing and reading in bright daylight at midnight, was the battle of the flies. Their horse was black with them and the farmhand would take a blanket and kill hundreds of them with one swat, then scrape them off the rump. I don't think I spent much time outside. They were having a heat wave that year (over 70 degrees F) and there was a lot of complaining about the butter not churning right, etc. The refrigerator was a hole in the side of a hill. There was a dowl running around the kitchen where bread with a hole in the middle was stored. They must have had pretty good teeth, as this bread got hard as a rock. I had tickets to see the Beatles at Shea Stadium that year, and I couldn't think about too much else. That trip that should have been a cultural treasure was lost on me. If I could only do it now! My Mia is going to Sweden in a month. I would love for her to visit the town where my Opa grew up, in Narke province - central Sweden - if she can steer that way. She and Jenny Brady are going to a wedding in Denmark. I hope she doesn't decide to stay over there...one reason why I didn't move farther out into the way back yonder was to stay four hours away from Mia in New Jersey. But she is a free agent and wherever she finds happiness is fine with me.

No comments: