Friday, December 09, 2011

Lamb Envy


Ewes are often envious of another mother's blessed event.  They want to be mothers themselves.  I've had situations, when multiple sheep give birth, where a lamb wanders off and latches on to another ewe.  It can be tricky to bring the lamb back to the real mother, especially if the new mother has licked off the lamb and allowed it to nurse.  This ewe is clearly desirous of the lovely little ewe lamb that was born a few hours before.  Once in a while I try to get a mother to adopt a lamb and it doesn't go well.  We have to do our best and use all our collective experiences and intuition to help all lambs survive.  I don't anticipate many more births as Zack and Romeo were removed from the flock the beginning of August.  Fingers crossed...  I'm trying to downsize, not increase, the flock.  Still - nothing is cuter than frolicking lambs to love while I'm home on Christmas break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how wondeful!!