Monday, December 26, 2011

Just Ducky

I'm about to put on a coat and boots to go out and check for eggs.  I want to make Mia some breakfast, maybe more Swedish pancakes.  I still have some more local maple syrup, and Laurie Marks gave me another bottle for Christmas in school.  You just-don't-buy-the-fake-stuff when you live in upstate New York, syrup capital of the nation.  The ducks seem to be acclimated to their pen, and lay eggs in the pans provided.  I feel a pang of guilt when the recent warm weather brings the earth worms up out of their holes on the hillside - a favorite treat of my ducks.  I give them cracked corn, egg layer feed and green hay to eat, but I know that's not nearly as much fun as the wiggly, squishy, juicy fellows in the ground.  I'm not sure how many males vs. females I have or I would toss the boys out to go fend for themselves and leave the girls in the pen to spoil.   Wish I could tell the difference.   So far there have been no eyes gouged out or real feathers pulled.  We'll see how it goes.  Now to go get those big, beautiful eggs.

No comments: