Monday, August 30, 2010

Dry Fiber While the Sun Shines


It's 94 on the shady side of the barn without a cloud in the sky. I've been picking and washing all day, with a trip to the feed mill fit in between dye runs. This glorious weather is perfect for getting fiber dry quickly. I only have two big pots and two working burners on the dye stove. I don't dare dye wool in the apartment as it is hot as Hades in here already and my fans only do so much. With hurricanes coming up the coast, and school starting next week, I have to make these last few days count. I am still working with old fleeces, found in the tractor shed and corners of the barn. Gorgeous wool that's been passed over for a variety of reasons. Maybe they were in dark plastic bags, maybe I saw too much hay when I peeked inside and went to a cleaner fleece. Whatever the reason, these lovely fleeces are no longer neglected. They are picked, washed and dyed beautiful colors. Most are black or faded black and dye to beautiful muted, rich colors. Jacquard is a fabulous dye. Some customers ask about natural dyes, but I have way too many sheep to collect enough wild dye stuff to dye all the wool. I started out using marigolds, onion skins, cochineal, etc., but switched to synthetic dyes like Cushings. Then, when Donna of the Sheep Shed offered to trade her Jacquard dyes for yarn, I was convinced. On deck for tonight, a batch of soap (takes about two hours at least), dinner, chores, then some sewing which, blissfully, I can do sitting down. This Chartreuse angora will be blended with Sunflower Yellow BFL wool, and a little purple maybe, to duplicate that "chrome" run people liked so much last year. We'll see how it comes out...

No comments: