Saturday, July 03, 2010

Market Musings


Sunny and warm at the market with many tourists coming through. People always marvel at my big pound balls of roving but very few know what to do with it, unlike the wool festivals where everybody knows what to do with it. I met some real neat people today. The woman who bought some shaving soap for her Army husband in Afghanistan came by, this time with the soldier himself in tow. It was wonderful to see him returned safe and sound. We talked about the war and agreed that we can't really change anything there without an occupation that would go on forever, and that the American people would not support it, and that President Obama will not be re-elected if he continues to support the war. The American people will elect someone who will take us out of there. He said his deployment away from his wife and baby was awful and he doesn't understand how servicemen survive many deployments. He said goodbye and I went back to my spinning, pondering what this man had endured in the name of duty and honor, knowing that his service would make little difference in the future of Afghanistan, with it's corrupt government and tribal dynamics. I heard someone say the other day that the troops that stormed the beaches of Normandy cared nothing about nation building or changing the hearts and minds of the people. They had a job to do - push back the Nazis. Anyway, more people came by to make my day interesting and fun. A college writing professor was looking for a red-white-and blue tote bag to take to Washington DC for a DAR conference. I told her my mom was a DAR (and a Daughter of the Confederacy!)and she asked if she could help get me registered in her chapter. I said sure, I would be interested in that. Her Oneida chapter has adopted the cause of national literacy, which goes right along with my work at BOCES with the GED kids. Another lady came in the booth and we chatted about handcrafts, etc., when I realized she had the same color blue-grey eyes as me, same nose, etc., and I asked if she was Swedish and she said yes, how did you know. Sometimes I'm reminded of how Swedish I look, taking after my father, with a big head and round face. My mother had a tiny little WASP nose and a pointy head that hats loved. I remember the time I was in the train station in Malmo, Sweden, just arriving in that country, and I was awe-struck at how many women look just like me. We had a nice talk and she went on her way. Jane Porter came over from her lovely studio shop and asked if I would like to see the fabric remnants she had for sale. Jane had a dress company a while back and would design fabrics and have them custom made by European mills. I've used her remnants before in my bags and was pleased to get a few more yards for such a good price. Candace came by and told me she had her Bluefaced Leicesters sheared yesterday, and that she was moved back into her cabin. I adore Candace and look forward to seeing her at the market, the only place where our paths cross. Much to do tonight to get ready for Hannah and Luke, Mia and AJ, and my old friend Sherry to come by. She participated in an event on the Brookfield trails today, and will be bringing her horse, Tsornin, with her. Sherry turned 40 last week! It seems like yesterday we were together in Honors English at St. Elizabeth in Morristown. I did big grocery shopping after the market and now have nowhere to put all this stuff. I'm still packing my flotsam and jetsam in tubs and bags. Funny, I bought this barn where the animals have all the room they need, but Maggie does not nearly have enough. Who comes first around here? That's not hard to answer. I took a nap for an hour or so waiting for the heat to cool down then spent an hour or so on chores. I love to spend time with the flock as they are bedding down for the night. I give the goats cracked corn at night to lure them back to the barn, as they would just as soon bed down up on the hill, far away from the safety of the barn yard. The sheep like to come back in where they feel safe. Goats are wilder and more independent. The heat will be oppressive the next few days. Pond weather for humans, and laying low in the barn for the sheep and goats. The pigs are having so much fun in their own little field in the back of the barn. I see them rooting around and playing games with each other, but when they spot me they jump and run as far as they can get from me! Love the piggies. They must be in my DNA. After all I do come from a long line of Georgia hog farmers. Oink oink snort snort chortle chortle!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Dude that is awesome! I have always wanted to register to be DAR but just haven't done so. Lazy of me.